It doesn’t matter if it’s the spa at Canyon Ranch or the spa in your living room while you’re watching Netflix, one component is the same: the heavenly aromas that waft through the air while you’re enjoying a massage, a manicure or some light meditation. A spa day is all about helping you sink into a deep state of joy and relaxation while you check your day-to-day stressors at the door. The goal is to re-enter real-life feeling more peaceful, productive and positive.
Here’s how the best spas in the world transform basic spaces into wonderlands of wellness (hint: it’s all about the smells).
1. Build a Library of Relaxing Scents—With the help of aromatherapy experts, scientists and our first-hand experience (tough job, we know), here’s the ultimate list of spa smells you need to make your space feel totally blissed out:
2. Craft Custom Essential Oil Blends—There’s a reason why so many relaxation experts recommend essential oils for aromatherapy. One main benefit is that you can build your own one-of-a-kind scents to help you craft the ideal ambiance for your home spa. Play around with earthy, tranquil scents and mix in pops of citrus and flowers until you’ve nailed one that feels just right.
3. Strategically Place Your Diffusers—As tempting as it is, resist the urge to crank up your aromatherapy diffuser to the highest possible setting in the middle of the living room. Consider practicing passive diffusion—placing a few drops of essential oil in a tissue, cotton ball, etc.—in bathrooms, hallways and corners to pepper in soothing aromas throughout your home and then using your diffuser in the main areas. The key is to gently cloak the space in a lightly scented mist, not to pump it in by the bucketful so that it’s overpowering, irritating or distracting.
4. Pepper in Some Candles—Oils are amazing, but there is no real substitute for a richly scented candle at the spa. The soft, flickering glow of a candle’s flame works with the aroma to help gently coax you into a tranquil state. Whether it’s our citrus and mint Montana candle or something featuring fresh, uplifting aromas, you can count on candles to help you craft the ideal ambiance.
5. Pick Your Beauty Products Carefully—In addition to the aromas that we add ourselves, spas have their own natural smells that make them feel special. Choose lotions, creams, serums and massage oils that fit into your aroma strategy and add something pleasant to the atmosphere. Where candles and oils help ease the mind into relaxation, great-smelling products help keep it in that deeply peaceful state.
As far as we’re concerned, nobody deserves the designation of self-care MVP as much as candles and aromatherapy oils. There’s simply nothing else in the world that does a better job of setting the stage and getting you into a chill state of mind, so don’t be shy! Go crazy with the candles and oils until your entire house smells like a five-star spa.
Subscribe to our email list to know when we make more cool stuff