The Perfect Housewarming Gift for First-Time Homeowners
Got a friend or loved one who has taken that giant leap into home ownership? You’re going to want to show up to the housewarming party with a present that screams “Welcome home!” Homesick has curated an excellent medley of useful, thoughtful and personalized housewarming gifts that’ll make first-time homeowners positively swoon, from stuff that smells amazing to magazine-worthy décor that’s total #housegoals.
Feels Like Home: Cozy and Aromatic Accessories
Looking for a safe-bet present that you know will get used? It’s gotta be something that fills the air with sweet aromas, like a set of dreamy scented candles or an inspiring reed diffuser. Creating a warm, cozy environment is a big part of settling into a new space, so make it even easier with these chill-worthy picks.
- New Home Candle — Homesick’s crowd-pleasing New Home Candle comes with a 13.75-ounce candle that smells like a brand-new home — blank walls, empty cupboards and all. What could be more appropriate? This is one of those spot-on surprises you know they’ll adore.
- A Reed Diffuser That Smells Like Home — This is the best reed diffuser for home and homeowners who love that fresh, clean scent and the brand-new-start feeling of unpacking. It’s got enchanting notes of jasmine, cedarwood, lime, sandalwood, oakmoss and musk to start any space off on the right foot.
- A Weighted Blanket — Who doesn’t want to cuddle up and get cozy in their brand-new house? A Gravity Blanket weighted blanket is the perfect way to encourage serious nesting and help minimize the stress and anxiety of moving.
- A Fresh Bouquet of Flowers — Whether you craft something gorgeous from dried blossoms or pick up something fresh on the way, you can’t go wrong with a vase full of dreamy-smelling flowers. Another great way to bring warmth and a fresh aroma is to give the gift of a live wreath for the front door.
- A Teapot or Tea Gift Set — A pretty teapot with some high-quality tea will get any new homeowner in the spirit of relaxation. If possible, grab some options from a local tea shop or include teacups made by a local artist. We love this great sampler from Etsy seller TrueNorthNavigation.
Accent Excitement: Home Décor and More
Besides the boxes that need to be unpacked, new homeowners have another challenge: blank walls and empty countertops. Surprise them with some thoughtful home décor items that will help liven up and personalize an otherwise-plain space. These are the ideal moving gifts for friends who are settling into their brand-new home.
- A Personalized Doormat — The doormat is the first thing friends and family see when they walk up to the front door, so it should be something that makes an impression! Go for a personalized option with their name, the year established or a special inside joke they’ll appreciate (like this one from RobertoDainty on Etsy).
- A Personalized Cutting Board — Looking for a housewarming gift for your favorite chef, baker, host or hostess? Go for the custom cutting board, like this one from Personalized by Kate! This uber-practical home accent serves as a personalized trinket and a daily essential that will get tons of use.
- A Custom House Portrait — Sentimental and stylish? Swoon! This is a brilliant idea for first-time homeowners who landed their dream house, complete with plenty of curb appeal. Find a local artist to sketch your pal’s new abode or browse around Etsy for inspiration (like this option from LMTCreativeAtHome).
- Custom House Keychains — Hey, they’re going to need a way to identify those fancy new keys, right? Order some personalized house keychains with their name, initials or a special message so they never get locked out. We’re massive fans of the ones made by TheBespokeWorkshop1 on Etsy.
- Custom Throw Pillow — There’s no simpler yet more impactful way to personalize a space than by piling on the toss pillows! Surprise your favorite homeowner with a custom throw pillow featuring their name, established year or any other fun message you think might honor their sense of style. Check out the options by seller CottonAndGraceHome on Etsy.
- A Pineapple Vase or Planter — Pineapples are a longtime tradition in housewarming gifting, and we are so on board! Pair this adorable pineapple planter (sold by Crossroads 3D on Etsy) with some fresh greens and throw in a tropical candle for good measure!
History Note: If you’ve ever had a housewarming party, you may have woken up the morning after with a countertop filled with bow-topped pineapples. But why? This fruity tradition traces its roots back to Christopher Columbus, who brought the spiky fruits back from the friendly Carribean islands. Ever since, they’ve stood as a symbol of hospitality and prestige.
Cheers!: Presents to Eat and Drink
When in doubt (and if you’re on a budget), buy consumables! If you aren’t sure of the new homeowner’s sense of style or preferences, it might be a good idea to stick to something delicious that they can eat, drink or share with their housewarming party guests. A good bottle of wine or a box of chocolates never goes to waste, especially if it’s from a local merchant!
- Pineapple Cake — Baking a delicious pineapple cake is a wonderful way to honor the pineapple housewarming tradition and give a tasty consumable at the same time. If you’re not big on baking, have your favorite nearby bakery whip something up to showcase local flavors.
- A Wine or Champagne Gift Basket — If your party host is known to enjoy a fine vintage, you can never go wrong with a nice bottle. But to make it extra-special, turn it into a gift basket, complete with some housewarming goodies like some pretty new wine glasses and a corkscrew.
- A Local Beer Grab Bag — It’s the same idea here, but instead of wine or champagne, stuff it to the brim with a handpicked array of your favorite local brews. Take it up a notch when you package it with some custom beer glasses or koozies in honor of the big milestone.
- A Local Specialty Food Item — This is a great idea for new homeowners who are new to your area. Help them get to know the best bakeries, coffee shops, specialty grocery stores and more by gifting them a special local consumable. Some fun ideas include beans from a great local coffee roaster or a homemade dip or jam from a local ethnic foods store.
- A Gift Card to a Local Restaurant — A restaurant gift card is always appreciated and is another amazing way to acclimate a homeowner to their new neighborhood. If the homeowner is still in the process of moving, choose somewhere with easy takeout or delivery for a quick dinner option.
Practical Presents: Homeowner Essentials
Feeling like a practical present is in order? No shame in that! There’s a pretty good chance that the first-time homeowner on your list doesn’t have everything they need to run a well-oiled household — whether that means fixing a leaky faucet or cuddling up for a Sunday binge-watching session — but you can definitely help with these great gifts.
- A Toolbox with the Essentials — This is such a great gift for the first-time homeowner who’s making the transition from apartment to house. Make sure to choose a basic tool set with all the essentials — a hammer, screwdrivers, a tape measure, socket set, a utility knife, etc.
- A Gardening Set — If your favorite homeowner is transitioning from no yard to full-blown groundskeeper, they’re going to need some lawn and gardening essentials. Start them off small with a few of the more basic hand gardening tools, such as a rake, a shovel, a trowel and a set of gardening gloves.
- A Video Doorbell — If you’ve got a little cash to spend, consider giving the gift of a video doorbell from a manufacturer like Ring or Google Nest. These handy little gadgets help new homeowners feel secure in their new home while also adding the convenience of remotely seeing who’s at the door.
- Subscription to a Streaming Service — A house is not a home without Netflix, Hulu and HBO, right? Seriously, you can’t go wrong with a gift card for a streaming service to ensure that your loved one is properly showered with all the best streaming entertainment around.
- An Easy-Care Houseplant — Last but not least, give the gift of greenery! Regardless of if they’re a longtime greenthumb or brand-new to the world of plant care, there’s a houseplant to suit their style and comfort level. We love the idea of pairing your gifted plant with a planter made by a local artist.
Give a Gift That Honors a Huge Milestone
At the end of the day, you want to surprise your new favorite homeowner with a present that’s personal, practical and enjoyable so they cherish it for a lifetime. But most importantly, you want to make sure you’re choosing a gift that’s suitable for this monumental life occasion. Make it something that says “congratulations” and “I’m proud of you” and you’ll undoubtedly knock it out of the park. Any of these excellent gifts will do!